~*~*~ Q&A ~*~*~

(1) General question: Aside from academics what other factors do you think hindered other students in school from running?

Jaye: Taking into account that I was also asked to run last year, my personal reason was I had personal goals for myself. I don’t think all of us got to med school just cause they applied. Most of us dream of going to med, so they choose to focus on their personal goals, and that’s probably why they didn’t run.

Martin: Some of my batch mates only became aware of the positions this elections, so there were a lot of questions. For me maybe the fire [of the SC] wasn’t sustained. Great start, but by the end of the year not much attended the year end event. I think the main cause of that was there was no sustenance. Maybe next year, we can make ourselves more visible.

Princess: I was doubtful of the job and responsibilities, and I think that’s the common problem. Can we get the job done? A lot of people kasi can think na di mo kaya that’s why kaunti lang nagrun.

Lorenz: I disagree with Martin. We tried to reach out to the students. We talked in front of first years and second years. We told them they could approach us. There were some students who did, and we succeeded in persuading them to run. So I don’t think that not knowing is a reason. Especially since we have a constitution that dictates what a position does. One of the reasons I think is the fear of failure. It’s still one of my fears, and I think it’s a reason enough for me sa mga hindi nag run. Also we have a small population, so there’s less probability that people want to run just based on statistics.

Patpy: I think the SC has done our job naman that we have introduced ourselves and I think well aware naman and people about the positions we hold. I think it’s the timeframe of the school year. Number one if you think of the incumbent, parang matagal na sila in position. For those coming in, the training period for them is short so that’s why a few people have doubted to run.

Jon: I agree with what Patpy said… It’s not a question of whether they know. It’s now up to the students. We can only give so much. There is no machinery to mentally train and prepare students for what’s ahead. I believe a party system can train a student for what they will be training for, what the campaign period will be like… A lot of students are always eager, but the machinery is not there. So next year for a long term solution, I’d propose a party to orient them properly and to train them properly at least to provide an avenue to inform them on what’s ahead

(2) Question for the presidential candidates: Are there any plans about promotion of health insurance (HI) for SLCM students?

Jon: There is an existing fee in our tuition fee for health insurance. Regarding the promulgation of HI, I think we have to make them aware that there is 10 k for accidental insurance. So first we have to make them aware of the existing HI.

Patpy: May healthcare insurance for accidental. But I’m curious about what type of HI they’re referring to. There’s a provision that says if you incur about 150k, you get to reimburse 10-15%, so it’s not just restricted to accidents, it also covers sickness.

Lorenz: (Answering as IPRO) HI is also for death and accidents. Accounting will give us a document explaining conditions which let us avail of insurance. Once we received the document, we’ll disseminate it.

(3) James Ayuson’s follow-up question: Na-injured ako sa palarong med, and asked the school for it. But the HI doesn’t seem to be implemented, so how do you ensure that students will be able to access it?

Patpy: As president, we have to see it through that they actually implement it. And besides that we should have transparency with that. Have the admin actually release the provisions to the student body so we’re familiar with that. I think the SC not just the President can do that, I think we can ask for that as student leaders

Jon: I think it should be a main important part of  the program to mention the particulars of the tuition fee at the start of the year. There were a lot of particulars that surprised me in the tuition fee meeting. And how the coverage is accessible

(4) Question addressed to Lorenz: You had a grievance proposal last year, but I didn’t see that materialised. What will change next year?

Lorenz: I made an effort to set it up. I talked to Dr. Maya and Dr. Laya I even made a protocol. But they didn’t agree with the student council mediating issues between student and admin. They don’t think it’s the SC’s responsibility and we are not trained. It was also on my part that it was not materialised, but we had a talk and they said we should just focus on students rights. What will change? Improved communication between the council and student body. I think first we should have clear communication between student body and the student council

(5) Question addressed to Princess: One of your roles as EVP is to represent SLCM outside. What is your take on the Lukan brand?

Princess: I think the St Luke’s brand is dedication to whatever we are going to take on. Competence and genuine care to make these projects work. It’ll only be feasible if we really attend meetings, and participate, and bring back what we learn to St Luke’s.

(6) Question for Martin: Being the sole runner of Secretary, why should we not vote for you/why would people abstain?

Martin: If you don’t want a competent person to fill in as secretary, if you want the council to be in disorder because there is no coordinator for them, then you should abstain.

(7) General question from Cheska Malubay: PAASCU accreditation is next year, but I have yet to hear anything from any of your platforms about it. If we want our diplomas to mean anything, it’s something we should strive for, so I’d like to know what you plan to do about it?

Lorenz: Though our platforms didn’t specifically indicate it, I think it’s implied by our new projects. As a student if interviewed by the accreditors, I’d say the students aren’t being able to evaluate properly. I think the curriculum review isn’t just for PAASCU it’s cause we need it. PAASCU is just an additional. I think our ideas is for the school developing in general. The accreditation is just a plus for me. Di ko talaga naisip yung PAASCU. I was just thinking of new things for the school to develop in general.

Patpy: One of the things they always notice is student orgs that’s why that was what I proposed in my platform ’cause they have to see the accountability of the structure of the org itself. Hassle siya since there’s so much included in there. I took into account the accreditation because it builds responsibility within the orgs and with the student leaders themselves. It gives them an outlet to evaluate their plans for the previous year whether they were effective or not

Jon: Similar to how our current admin has working committees, I think we can delegate a committee not just in the SC but even with student orgs cause as we know extracurriculars are just as important as the students being part of it. We should delegate a working committee or an ad hoc committee to make streamline requirements for the accreditation

Martin: Student assembly will be an avenue to convene and discuss important issues in the college. So we’d discuss it in order to prepare the student orgs for the PAASCU accreditation next year

Cheska: I wanted to bring that up because this is a school effort. Not just the SC.

(8) Question from Yel Cordova: For Patpy, I saw in your platform that one of your projects is to create an online student profile. Couple of concerns. I don’t know if you guys are aware, admin when I was in first year, they invited students to do something for the school over the summer. I volunteered cause I wanted to help the school and I proposed creating the online student profile. She told me that they tried it before but there were many problems apparently. They lacked the servers, students would hack the websites and change their grades (galing) and last it’s not a project that can be handled by students. The question is how do you address those things,

Patpy: I asked them if it would be possible. They are also rebuilding the IT dept. They are undergoing the beta testing now but it’s still a process. The role of the SC is to see it through. On certain issues, minsan nakakalimutan ng admin cause students don’t remind the admins what the role of the student council here is to repeat the concerns. I believe they’re strengthening the IT department so that hacking won’t be an issue in the future. What I feel like is it’s positive for the admin. I agree, it’s not a project that can be headed by the students but it can be strengthened by the students.

(9) Question from JM Deblois: Two comments I have to point out.

  1. Impact of the projects. I think we have to mention that the impact of projects are important. For the two running for President and Princess for EVP, how do you make a positive impact for the lives of the students in terms of their current needs—academics. In terms of curriculum improvements, how are you going to do that externally and internally.
  2. Org empowerment—there are only 2 organisations officially recognised. I suggest you encourage admin to recognise SAGIP, PAL, and AG, and make them independent. Organisational independence is important

What positive impact are  you going to enforce as a voice of the Lukan body outside and inside the school?

Princess: I’ve never been to APMC, so i don’t know what they discuss but I think maybe we can discuss about the standardisation of certain curriculum suitable for our generation. More than books, we have to have a standardised curriculum so when we get out of school, makikita natin kung ano ba talaga and kaya natin gawin. I’m going to ask for suggestions from them and bring it to St. Luke’s and suggest things that would benefit St Luke’s.

JM: Just to give you an idea, the laws existing were made in 1959. These laws were made when there was much less information present.

Patpy: Walang nagiinitiate because we all want to reform the kind of education, but it should be well known to the rest of the medical community how archaic this is before we start to make a change. We need manpower before we make a change eh so we can’t change it without support from the rest of the community. I think it’s unfair to ask princess to ask her about amps cause she hasn’t been there at all. I think awareness is first, and then ask for their suggestions and then get a compromise. then if we succeed here, maybe other schools will notice. Maybe di na kailangan idaan sa APMC.

Jon: It’s 2016. We need reform. I would have to backtrack that now I think we need a referendum. The entire body should know this is the curriculum, these are the changes, these are the mechanisms of changes the students can tackle. A referendum is basically present in the curriculum and then we agree. I recognise it should be at the forefront. we can’t just make it the same as an international model. There has to be a standard to make our curriculum more modern, more relevant to our 3rd world.

Lorenz: Platform on curriculum review gonna give one example, in one of our second year subjects we believe as a batch some questions aren’t supposed to be there in the exam. One of the batch mates went directly to the admin to express the concern. If it’s just through paper, it won’t be effective and it won’t be addressed. in what I’m proposing, the students will sit in with lecturers to give their evaluation and comments so it will be more effective. I think that will have a positive impact internally on our curriculum

Patpy: I’d like to add that we have to understand that if you’re asking for a change it’ll take time. It’s also a collective effort na lahat ng data involved doon. Especially on curriculum change.

Jon: Maybe the representation of students in curriculum reviews with the faculty can be the baby steps. If we can progress from there, ‘di lang random students, hopefully we can have the cooperation of the administration. It’ll take time.

(10) From Cheryl Argent: To the externals plus general question, one of the things I have noticed about APMC is that they tend to hold competitions. What are the plans to make forums between APMC that actually advocate change among schools? We need to tackle base subjects that need to be lobbied on a political level. What are you planning to do so we can make all the med schools come together to make a significant change?

Princess: I agree we should start first in the school. It’s hard to bring the problem out if we in our school don’t know what the problem is. From that, we’ll probably introduce it to people and tell them what’s wrong in their schools, then we’ll talk about it in the next meeting, Then from that we can bring it up with the administration of different schools.

CJ: My answer last year was, “I don’t know”. All I could do was ask what the students want re the curriculum, and less that 1 year working with the APMC, the SN can only do so much to change the curriculum because the final decision is always with the association of deans themselves. This year, like what Cheryl said, as a past worker we also saw that when you ask people what APMC is about, they name competitions. I will be coordinating with Princess that the APMC has created special committees that address student interests besides extracurriculars. Including social rights committee, sociocivic committee, etc. Now we can do that in a more aggressive way. For example, we haven’t released it yet pero may survey asking the students asking what they need so we can address that. Hopefully, we can make APMC an organisation that really addresses what students need.

Henson: Reality check, AMPC foundation is composed of doctors and we compose the student networks. So the SN doesn’t see the doctors. It’s hard to get it up to the doctors rin, that’s the reality of APMC. All schools want an advantage over each other, so it’s hard to make a curriculum review. What you can do is propose for a project for APMC and then form a committee to review the curriculum of each school. Regarding policy making, you have to have evidence and research to change the curriculum. It’s hard to do, pero kung gusto niyo gawin, that’s how to do it. Also insurance is implemented, but we’re still getting the documentation from the admin.

Lorenz: You want us to change the curriculum on a national level. For me we have to start in our school. We have to tell our students we have the right. We have the academic freedom in the magna carta for med students. I think students need to know their rights for us to take action. We need to tell the students that we can have meetings as a student body about what needs to be changed inside the school. Matagal talaga yung process, but if we really want to start we need to start in the school. If other schools know about it, I’m sure they’d like to change the system. I think we need to know what needs to be done and then do it as a school. We can give a proposal for a new project wherein the different schools can give their opinion in order to have communication as Filipino medical med students. We really need to inform the students that we have the right to academic freedom.

JM: I’m not saying it will be easy. I just like the idea that SLCM is going to spearhead it on the national level. It’s going to be difficult because you’re dealing with cultural barriers, and I think this is the best way to uphold the lukas brand.

Doc De Ramos: Just so you know, and I hope you know because we’ve been talking about this since 2013, and in our last assembly I particularly spoke about an outcome based curriculum. CHED has recently signed the new CMO for all med schools, and it’s now in effect so all med schools are mandated to follow what’s in that new CMO. Of course it may not be as big as what JM is thinking about, but the meetings of APMC wherein they call the deans and associate deans started back during 2011 and 2012 because there have been a lot of arguments along the way. Thankful for us, we started our curriculum reform back in 2007 and were happy that most of what they’re requiring is already in our curriculum. Unfortunately, I think that’s a reason why it took a long time is because some schools were really arguing against it. Just so you know if you really plan to do these things, you’ll probably already be residents by the time your proposals are passed. But if you’re going to do this, I’m all for it. If someone should start it I think it should be the St Luke’s student. As for the medical act of 1959 I hope you know I was not born yet, and I myself actually stood up and demanded change because it is truly outdated. As far back as 2007. when we were trying to change our internship because we wanted to design a different program unfortunately we were being barred from doing so because it was against the act of 1959. We’re just trying to go around it by giving you electives, but we were really proposing something more, but we were being limited by this old law. If you want to do it go ahead I’ll be right behind you.

(11) From Drei Valencia: For Jon Dy, if you win it would mean that there would only be one member of the former SC if he also wins that would be part of the SC. And there are also a lot of holes that need to be filled be… How would you adapt and lead a very new and very fresh council without stumbling through the first few months?

Jon: I had the same dilemma when I ran in college. We made up for it by recognising that we all have our own deficiencies and we had to recognise it as a council. E.g. we knew nothing about art. We established a dept based SC. We had batch reps because again we don’t know some of the concerns from the past. So yeah, there will be stumbling blocks but we can combat it through very good planning. We employed SWOT based analysis to improve. Advantage is lahat sila passionate. So it boils down to that, we consult with the currents SC, with the admin and with the students about the current issues.

(12) Question to the Sec and EVP: What is your opinion on the performance of the current SC and how do you intend to improve what we already have?

Martin: I think it has reached out to people. But most announcements were late. The problem is not about who [was responsible for disseminating] the late info, but it’s a problem of planning. It would have been a better promotion if things were set from the start. I consulted with Rafa because I had concerns. What I learned from him is that maybe we can plan things from the start of the year. So that we won’t have second thoughts as the event comes near. ‘Yan yung nagcacause ng delay sa information dissemination.

Princess: I must agree I have a problem with info dissemination, but they didn’t leave us during the Christmas party preparations and I really felt that the council is really trying their best to give us support in Palarong Med even if we didn’t know where we were gonna sleep, how we were gonna get there. But hopefully information can be improved so that people can prepare better. And fundraising for our athletes and performers para this year, ‘di na tayo maglalabas ng masyadong pera.

(13) Question to Jon Dy: What was your biggest contribution to the student body last year, and where were you last year? (lol)

Jon: Where was I last year? Any reason I give is irrelevant because I am here now. Of course, I was lucky enough to be invited by the secretary to co-headed the Open House and I think after asked I sent a long list of suggestions for the Open House. It was well attended, and it was successful. I wasn’t always there, but when I was there, it mattered naman.

(14) Question for EVP: Based on your presentation earlier, there is the interbatch patient interaction, a great proposal… how are you going to push this project, and is this going to be part of the curriculum?

Princess: We were talking about it and why don’t we start it during the summer? If a doctor is available, and a second year and a third year is available para may ideas yung upper years that they can pass to the first years and vice versa. If the admin likes that set up, maybe we can integrate it and set a day when the batches can interact.

(15) From Henson Turalde: I would just like to encourage everyone that we don’t just ask what the SC can do for the school, but we should think of what we can give. Actually I think the SC isn’t just a skill issue but a heart issue. Q for the presidents, if you don’t win, what will be your contribution to the school next year? How will you serve? How will you bring honor to your school?

Jon: Automatically, I’ll support Patpy because the leadership position doesn’t define whether you can serve. Maybe I can volunteer in the SC. That’s my commitment. If I lose, I will volunteer, definitely. My goal today is to show you that ordinary students can have ideas for the SC. I will help Patpy to make the necessary changes possible. In all seriousness, Patpy is also a very capable leader and if ‘di ako manalo, I’ll help out.

Patpy: Of course I will support sina Jon Dy and the rest of the SC, especially the Externals and technically walang incumbent na matitira, so as a leader from this current SC it will only be justice to what I’ve done to help out and guide team Externals to make it the same if not better than what we’ve done next year.

(16) From Kaye Cala: To the presidents, Patpy I have seen you work and you always find a way. I always see you look at every corner possible. Jon Dy, you are the epitome of planning. You always have a plan, and if that plan goes wrong you always have a backup planning. I’ve noticed that there is a growing student apathy, and my question would be how will you address this rampant apathy in our school?

Patpy: I will find a way like you said. Quality over quantity. The organisations I’ve handled span 150-1000 people. What I want dot do during that time is to match the personalities of people to the events. Tedious but effective siya. At the end of the day, there’s only so much the student council can do. There’s only so much leaders can do. I will find a way to cater to the needs and holistic growth of the student body.

Jon: I think student apathy is a general concern in a student population. In my college we had 3,000 students, and we didn’t get all of them to participate but we got 1,000 to. How? We make opportunities available. Impossible na walang mapipique na interest. Student apathy stems from—well what part do we play? Ten people organise the activity. Compared to if 100 people organise the activity, attendance will rise. Again we make opportunities available. No permanence. Ad hoc. That’s the perfect plan. Backup plans will be to go to the students mismo. RTRs, if we really want the students to participate.

(17) From Glynise Cielo: For everyone, if you are going to define the position you are running for based on the constitution, how would you define it?

Jaye: Treasurer negotiates w/ committees that deal with budget, auditor safe keeps money, does auditing work, clerical work and that’s how I’d define my job.

Martin: Job is to announce, take minutes, keep records, but it doesn’t actually give proper importance to what you do. I’d like to reword the def’n into an operational def’n. I’d like to define it as a COO and the safe keeper of the constitution

Princess: Aside from being a rep of SLCM in APMC. I would like to add I’d like to rep SLCM internationally. We’ll be inviting speakers who come to the school and we represent the students. The roles of an EVP are to 1) Help the president 2) Head externals committee, be the 3) Mediator between different organisations

Patpy: The constitution has the basics, but basics lang. For the president, I’d like the president to be the main bridge of the student body to the administration. Sounds light, but when you think of it how will you adhere to that? So I think as simple as that. Na ikaw yung main nilang kausap I think that would give more purpose to your job and more ideas on how to improve

Jon: Three main things: 1. CEO, 2. Responsible for cohesiveness of members of SC 3. Responsible of representing students with the admin, with the goal in mind that it’s always the student before everything else

(18) From CJ Almazan: To Princess, what points from the last year’s externals committee would you like to improve on specifically and will you tulip team externals originally externals was 2 peoples, representatives from each year. In my term, I pleaded for a committee. The image of externals is haggard. I’d like to thank team X for sticking with us. Kung itutuloy mo siya, how will you encourage people to take part knowing the image of the job being toxic. Side question, what project would you take in the APMC?

Princess: Points of improvement: focus is sponsorships kasi kulang ng funds for projects. School gives a lot to MGMR, [but] sana this year wala nang magdadala ng kotse. Sana sagot na ng team x. Sana sagot na yung lunch. Last year, kaunti lang support sa team yung team x. Tatanong ko lang sa classmates ko, iniwan ko ba kayo sa christmas party? In the APMC, MSS—it’s time to redeem ourselves.

(19) From James Ayuson: To the Internals VP on punctuality. You mentioned you’d release who are late. How will that help increase punctuality?

Lorenz: First of all, if we’re going to release stats regarding late students, iniinform ko na bakit ganoon kadaming students late. Of course not everyone will be on time talaga. I plan to make a rewards system sa kung sinong batch/department will improve on attendance.

Follow up: Is it to increase awareness? or decrease lateness?

Lorenz: Both actually. Increase awareness and decrease lateness so we know if we achieved it kung may nakita tayong significant change.

(20) Follow-up question from Kaye Cala: Are you in favour of locking the doors?

Lorenz: We should not prohibit the students from learning dahil late sila. Maybe we can improve the way we handle attendance. I disagree na kailangan i-lock ang doors to serve as a lesson ‘di dapat masala ang right nila to learn just cause late sila.

(21) From Arah Sacdalan: The dean is very passionate about inculcating professionalism, and he’s been very vocal na the first step is punctuality. I also wanna ask paano siya eevaluate, but I’ll just broaden my question—how would you promote professionalism in your projects (or as part of the Student Council)?

Lorenz: By evaluating the Intro to Med profession ’cause I think that subject has great potential. Pero, for me personally, may parts na redundant and may mga ‘di effective. Maybe we can evaluate it per year level so that it will be more effective in encouraging the students to have a culture of professionalism among students.

Patpy: As SC helping out each batch for example in batch decisions. I think the way we make decisions minsan and daming suggestions na ‘di macacater lahat. Maybe the SC can help segregate suggestions into what’s best, or better.

Jon: As someone with a position, people are always going to look at you. Is this guy always on time? In meetings? Are your activities going to start on time? So it starts with everything done in the student council. If you embody the culture of punctuality, the people will see that they’re really serious. So we have to embody consistency.

Patpy: Also, proper uniform kasi ‘di ako nakanameplate ngayon and nakacoloured socks ako. Bakit, kasi when we get to the hospital you’re not just representing SLCM but you are representing SLMC. So kung ngayon pa lang ‘di mo mastart, I think the SC can help out in instilling wearing the uniform properly.

Martin: One way is to practice openness and involvement. As I proposed in assemblies, we can be open with our leaders, and that can help us become professional.

(22) From Anselme Ang: Every time malapit na exam week may magsisign ng attendance tapas pagtinawag ka sa class, nawawala. Punctual nga pero nawawala sa class. How can you address that?

Lorenz: In terms of your concern, satin talaga yung honesty. Ito young naisip ko regarding that specific issue. First attendance would be the first thirty minutes, then the attendance of the last subject will be given during the last thirty minutes

Jon: If in terms of pure observation, I think that would lean more on exam week. So exam week ang concern. Personally, if the exam is on Wednesday then you have class until Tuesday. We have to understand that students have their own way of prioritising studying for exams. This is just my opinion. Sana less yung classes and make up classes near exam week.

(23) From Margarita Rosario: This question is for the presidents. Will the winning candidate adapt the opponents platform? If yes, how would you handle this given the low number of task members?

Patpy: I will adapt some of JD’s proposed plans if I win kasi some of it are already in the works. I think what JD wants to address is implementation. Given more jobs, yung mga plans na iniisip ko are already in some people’s plans, so to address the fact na mas maraming tao yung kailangan. I’ll go back to what I was saying earlier—you have to personalise your projects based on the personalities of the people.

Jon: One plan I really want to adapt is the mental health awareness and I think RE jobs, what we need is compartmentalisation. What we know now is just the tip of the iceberg. So of course, if it’s more jobs, be realistic first. What are you capable of achieving? How many students do we know who have mental health problems in medical school? You have to do what’s feasible within the year and evaluate how you can do better next year.

(24) From Lyka Atienza: To princess, you plan on Open House for high school students—so 1 for HS and 1 for college? It’s difficult to organise an Open House. Next, St. Luke’s is now considered as one of the top schools. Do you think na kailangan pa mag-Open house since we are established na? This is a question that is always asked by the Dean.

Princess: I am foreseeing that sana [during] med week natin is class free so that we can focus on mga talks. Sa HS, it’s more of they go to a talk about what they look forward to in med schools. Magsisign up pa rin mga students. So mga students ngayon pweding magsistrive na sila for the scholarship. So it’s different from open house if it’s possible. I taught in high school, and may mga students who are looking for scholarships. Feeling ko kailangan ng open house. Panghatak rin yun ng competent students who are considering other schools. We can show them what we can offer them. If we can get more competent students, we can get more students who can top the boards, etc.

 

Martin: I think open house is also needed for the students to know what’s really in St. Luke’s that makes them the top performing schools. People always ask me why SLCM? We really have to reach out to schools. We can reach out as well to colleges, and that’s what I’m doing in UST Pharma. Di nila kilala from the start, but when people like us reach out to them, it will be a plus for SLCM and for their future.

(25) Question for the presidents: Baka may changes from hair to makeup to coloured socks, and facial hair. Possible mas maging strict. The question is what is your view? There is always the question of our being professionals versus self expression

Patpy: Having been in a strict catholic private school, may imposition ng strict dress code. I think it builds character in people. What I’m saying is yes to the restriction, with reservations. But I’ll give you an example, in ASMPH, they can wear whatever shoes.

Jon: Yes, you can place some, but not all. Coming from a public university, although it might seem inappropriate to some it didn’t make me look at a person any less. We still went on with our agenda. But at least give people options. People will always find a loophole. So yun, you allow certain freedoms but with some restrictions.

Follow-up question: Would you allow blue hair colour?

Jon: Yes.

(26) From Henson Turalde: Regarding the tuition free increase, I noticed people have different opinions of it. Patpy is okay with it as long as students get what they deserve. Jon opposed it. For Patpy, is there a threshold until you oppose? How much are you willing to do to oppose tuition fee increase if we need to oppose it?

Patpy: 5% yung cap ng CHED, and if it gets any more than that, there will be a collective effort for legalities to be involved. So we can take legal action to prevent that from happening. Why am I okay with it, right now we’re working towards accreditation and to be able to support those changes, we have to support that. And we also are supporting scholars. I’m afraid if we don’t maintain the right amount to run the school baka mabawasan yung scholars.

Jon: Talagang oppose because it becomes a hindrance to an ongoing problem. generally one of the top three reasons would be not just the length or the difficulty but the expense involved to go through… it looks like a formality, but there are students who are really concerned even scholars because they’re not safe from a tuition fee increase. We have to present that there are really students struggling. They have a voice as well. There are really some students who are less fortunate. Any form of tuition fee increase, almost an 11k increase each year. If we just allow it, it’ll go up each year. What about the less fortunate who want to go to medical school? Upper middle class, we’re not the majority here. Legitimate concern talaga siya. Justified or not. At least we make up for that with the scholarship program. At least equal opportunity talaga lahat maging scholar. It doesn’t mean walang sinasabi, okay lang sa kanila.

Lorenz: We’re a private institution, so the school has a right to propose an increase. Realistically, the student council can give specific recommendation to let the admin know that some students really impose the increase.

(27) From Eunice Agapito: Following up on punctuality and professionalism, what do you think about people who don’t attend class but ask classmates to sign for them?

Patpy: I don’t like it personally, but the one at the losing end is the one not attending. I’m proposing to fix it, instead of signatures maybe we could have biometrics para di kokopyahin yung thumbprint. Maybe, I guess, progressive naman ang school. They’d probably be open to that.

Jon: With regard to it, personally I don’t like it, but I did see one way it could be addressed. I saw a prof who did it. He doesn’t let people sign it. He roll calls students in class. It takes time, but it’s worth it. Eventually it addresses the problem that he has to be here. And if possible kahit at the end of the class. Through and through losing end naman talaga yung mga wala.

(28) From R-jay Agbon: For Jaye, why did you file for auditor and not treasurer when no one was running, and who would you suggest for treasurer?

Jaye: Basis ko for choosing auditor is based on the responsibilities na sa constitution. I think mas fit ako sa auditor because I can work fast and efficiently kung ganoon yung job. Negotiationg—weakness ko yun cause I will look for options to get what I want pero baka wala na akong time. ‘Di na feasible. Baka sila Zea, Bea people who have experience.

(29) Kuya Brylle: What character trait that you have can you vouch for? Primary objective is always a medical student. So how can you assure us that your interest to serve will not wane?

Jaye: I really value respect, and I think I try very hard to show respect and to gain their respect back. Syempre respect for people’s time, money and the value we give the students. I know I am prepared to do this task because I have the experience to do this . I am trained to do this. I respect your vote, so once I know you elected me I won’t lose your respect.

Martin: Dedication. I’m not the best worker, and I don’t do things good kaagad, but I always make it a point na I’m always improving. I will dedicate myself to improve myself para I can give the best output when the time comes. I can assure you that whatever happens that I already accepted my fate when I filed my candicacy. Hindi ko bibitawan and aking position, pero syempre I need to keep my scholarship to stay, and that will serve as my challenge. I will put in extra effort. I can’t think of any other way to serve you.

Princess: Di ako scholar, but I promise I will always be open to more learnings. I am always open to learn the job na ibibigay sa akin. Even if I have a lot to learn, what I can offer is perseverance. I will not stop when I am tired, I stop when I get the job is done. Sabi nila humans are like pencils, habang nahihirapan mas nagiging better pencil tayo. So I can offer perseverance and hard work. Ginusto ko to, tatapusin ko to.

Lorenz: I value consistency. Iniisip ko when I was writing my platforms is are these feasible? Gusto ko lahat ng sinabi ko, gusto ko maibibigay ko lahat when I get into position. First of all gusto ko lang i-point out na we are students first. We have the responsibility to be students first kasi the goal is to be a doctor. I think I’ve showed as Internals PRO that I can handle the responsibility with my academics. We have already promised that we chose this, at di namin maiiwan.

Patpy: I think for me, it’s the value of having a vision. Not just for myself, but for the entire Lukan community. Why do I value vision? Having a vision means you’re looking beyond your term. You’re looking beyond what you can give during the term. Nauuna naman talaga yung student sa student leaders. Over the years what I’ve learned is your academics should be constant. You adapt your work. You learn to prioritise and you learn to delineate.

Jon: Open-mindedness not because you’re at the top that means you shouldn’t listen to what other people should say. If I didn’t keep an open mind, I would’ve been stuck at 1+1=2 instead of listening to other opinions of how to get there. As it pertains to academics. Of course, student leaders emphasis yun. I personally should maintain extra effort because academics equals leader. What you can expect from me in academics you can expect from me as a leader.

/ END /

Some notes on the vacant positions:

  1. SC will assign OIC for the following unfilled positions
    1. Treasurer—finance head appointed once SC has been elected into position
    2. EPRO—duties will be shared among externals representatives elected by batches
    3. Internals PRO—duties will be shared among internals representatives elected by batches
  2. Snap elections on the first week of classes